Governance - Resident Senate
“To enable residents to influence and shape Severnside now and for the future…”
Severnside aims to put residents at the heart of all we do, to directly influence how we plan and deliver services and how we perform. The Resident Senate is designed to fulfil this commitment; providing a challenge role, looking at our performance and providing tenant led input into the decisions our Board make.
What is the Resident Senate?
The Senate sits at the heart of our governance structure working with the Board, Executive Team, officers and other stakeholders. It will be made up of six Severnside residents with some initial support from three of our existing Board members, although our intention is for the Senate to be made up solely of residents and to be resident led in time.
What does the Resident Senate Do?
The Senate will support the delivery of excellence in our services by:
- Looking at our performance and satisfaction data and how we compare with others; challenging any areas of low performance and recommending improvements
- Providing a connection to all our customer engagement activities, working with the Severnside Board and the Executive Team on service issues, including the development of services
- Reviewing, agreeing and challenging our strategies and action plans that affect customers
- Considering and reporting on all these things with recommendations to the Severnside Board
Leading the way
Severnside is responding to the Tenant Services Authority (TSA) proposed new approach to how housing organisations are regulated. They want to see resident-led regulation. The Resident Senate is Severnside’s response to this.
What will we achieve with the Senate?
- Residents will have a real and direct input into decision making at Severnside
- Residents will be closely involved in the strategies and policies Severnside develops to inform service delivery
- We hope residents who have never been involved before will engage with us if they see they can really influence the decisions Severnside makes
- For the first time, residents will be able to influence our business planning and their own future.
The Senate has agreed its Terms of Reference - Senate Terms Of Reference [pdf] 27KB
What to do if you are interested in joining the Senate
If you are interested in joining us on our journey we would love to hear from you. Please contact Irene Molyneux or Sue Barker on 0845 234 2424 or 01743 285000.